Three dimensional stitchery

I love the Great British Sewing Bee, not least because it inspires me to do stuff that I wouldn’t necessarily try (or buy sewing equipment that I really need!).

I haven’t done much three dimensional or constructive sewing, other than felt animals of various sorts at school or the now famous Bob the reindeer. I have seen letter cushions before and liked the idea of them so I thought I would give it a bash.

The choice of letter was really easy as it was for a present so I set about creating a pattern with the help of a well known Sunday newspaper. Getting the proportions right was surprisingly difficult. Either the uprights were too skinny or the distance between them too large or the crossbar too thin. I can understand now why font design is such an art form because there is a lot to be considered.

Having finally reached a size I was happy with I cut out the front and back, taking a great deal of care to ensure that I got the stripes in the right place and parallel. I then attached premade bias binding around the whole perimeter of each. As a scientific exercise (probably not the best thing to do on a gift!) I sewed one binding on by my old method of using a zipper foot, and one using my fancy pants new binding foot. Unquestionably the latter produced the much better result, and it was considerably easier to use.

Deciding on the width of the joining piece of fabric also required significant thought. Once again it was important to get the proportions correct. And also to decide whether the stripe should go vertically or horizontally. My biggest mistake though was that I sewed it on all in one piece rather than creating sections which matched each junction on the letter. This meant that although I sewed it all on pretty accurately and neatly, when the two sides were joined together there was a twist in the final product.

All that said, I’m pretty pleased with it as a first attempt and the recipient liked it, so I’ll definitely be having another go.

Cat x

Day 40

Day40_lilacscarfI did it! Forty makes in a little over 40 days – but nevertheless the task is complete.

This scarf was not actually meant to be number 40 but the project assigned for today is still in a heap on my desk, not least because I have fallen very rapidly in and out of love with jute.  Let’s just say that I won’t be rushing out to buy any more.

Back to my lilac woolly loveliness.  I can knit, and quite well though I say so myself – but I don’t get any enjoyment out of having to sew it all up at the end and then add necklines etc.  I always seem to lose stitches and gain them so everything looks higgledy piggledy and unsatisfactory to my slightly over perfectionist eye.  In this respect I prefer crochet with it’s one stitch wonderfulness.  However, Mr Cat does get a bit cross if I disappear every evening to commune with my sewing machine so it’s nice to have a little project to be getting on with in front of the fire.

I discovered Rachel John and her extreme knitting a little while ago and it is right up my street.  Straighforward knit one purl one but using great big needles (I have hidden them from Destructa Dog) and multiple strands of wool at the same time.  This scarf was easy breezy to make and is currently keeping me nice and toasty warm.

Cat x