I’ve been feeling a bit guilty that I haven’t done any actual sewing for a few weeks. There always seems to be something to do or someone who needs to be taken somewhere.
Therefore this afternoon I thought I would try and complete a little project just for the satisfaction of doing something. I found an old copy of Mollie Makes which still had the freebie make on the front and dug out the sewing equipment to make a little travel card holder. Since my existing travel card wallet has been slicing a hole in my coat pocket this would also possibly be something that would come in very handy.
I’m always amazed that I have picked a hobby that requires so much ironing. The first thing I had to do on opening the little paper envelope was to give everything a jolly good press.
The instructions were clear, but unfortunately the person writing them had clearly had a common sense failure. There is a reason why imperial and metric recipe requirements aren’t interchangeable, and this is equally so for sewing. How anyone is expected to measure 6 and 7/8cm is beyond me. The instructions had patently been created in inches and whoever rewrote them didn’t round the cm measurements up to accommodate a ruler.
There was another problem with the acetate. This had to be trimmed to exactly the same size as the originally sewn rectangle. But, as we all know, when you turn something inside out you lose a little from the bend of the fabric, so more adjustments required.
My first attempt at sewing through acetate wasn’t wholly successful, but fortunately I still had a heavyweight needle in the machine from sewing something else a couple of weeks ago. I did discover that the knack to sewing ribbon onto acetate was to spray a little adhesive onto the back first, stick it in place and sew with the ribbon face down to allow the feet to gain a little traction.
This was almost a 15 minute project, and the results were not bad at all. Not least because my travel card actually fits in the wallet!